Loran Nordgren is an Assistant Professor of Management and Organizations. His research considers the basic psychological processes that guide judgment and choice. His work is particularly concerned with problematic decision-making—decisions that act against the interests of oneself and society. The overarching goal of this research is to simultaneously advance our understanding of the psychological process that lead to problematic decision-making and to develop theory-driven solutions for problematic behavior.
Professor Nordgren’s research has been published in leading journals such as Science, Psychological Science, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, and Journal of Consumer Research. In recognition of his work, Professor Nordgren has received the De Finnetti Award, a biannual award for research in judgment and decision-making, and the 2007 Theoretical Innovation Award from the Society for Personality and Social Psychology. Loran Nordgren received his PhD in social psychology from the University of Amsterdam.
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Health Psychology
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Law and Public Policy
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Organizational Behavior
- Social Cognition
- Dijksterhuis, A., & Nordgren, L. (2006). A theory of unconscious thought. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 1(2), 95-109.
- Nordgren, L. (2008). The instability of health cognitions: Visceral state influence self-efficacy and related health beliefs. Health Psychology, 27(6), 722-727.
- Nordgren, L., van der Pligt, J., & van Harreveld, F. (2007). Unpacking perceived control: The mediating role of anticipated regret. Journal of Behavioral Decision making, 20(5), 533-544.
- Nordgren, L., van der Pligt, J., & van Harreveld, F. (2007). Evaluating Eve: Visceral states influence the evaluation of impulsive behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 93(1), 75-84.
- van Harreveld, F., Rutjens, B. T., Rotteveel, M., Nordgren, L., & van der Pligt, J. (2009). Ambivalence and decisional conflict as a cause of psychological discomfort: Feeling tense before jumping off the fence. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 45(1), 167-173.
- van Harreveld, F., van der Pligt, J., & Nordgren, L. (2008). The relativity of bad decisions: Social comparison as a means to alleviate regret. British Journal of Social Psychology, 47(1), 105-117.
- Attitudes and Persuasion
- Leadership in Organizations
- The Individual and the Organization
- Writing and Presenting for Publication
Loran F. Nordgren
Kellogg School of Management
2001 Sheridan Road
Evanston, Illinois 60208
- Phone: (847) 491-2957
- Fax: (847) 491-8896